Queen Elizabeth’s final hours as family storms to deathbed

LONDON: It started with a brief but disturbing statement. Less than 48 hours after a vulnerable but smiling Queen Elizabeth II was photographed appointing a new prime minister Liz Trussher doctors said they were “concerned.”
An unprecedented medical bulletin issued by Buckingham Palace said the 96-year-old queen was under “medical supervision” but “continued to feel comfortable” at her Scottish retreat, Balmoral Castle.
The announcement at 12:32 pm (1132 GMT) sent shockwaves through parliament, where MPs had gathered to hear Truss announce that utility bills would be frozen for two years.
Within minutes, the office of heir apparent Prince Charles had announced that he and his wife Camilla, already residing at the Balmoral estate, had arrived at Balmoral Castle.
It is believed that the Queen’s daughter, Princess Anne, was also in Balmoral on time as she was also in Scotland.
Both are said to have been at the Queen’s side when she died Thursday afternoon.
However, other members of the family faced a long and ultimately unsuccessful flight from London.
The second in line to the throne, Prince William; the Queen’s other two sons, Princes Andrew and Edward; and Edwards’ wife Sophie, who was particularly close to the monarch; arrived late afternoon in a cold, gray Aberdeen aboard a special RAF aircraft.
William, who has now become the heir, then took over the wheel of the car for the 50-mile drive to Balmoral.
But by the time the grim royals stormed through the gates of Balmoral just after 5pm, it was already too late.
About half an hour earlier, at 4:30 p.m., the Prime Minister had been informed that the Queen had died that afternoon.
Prince Harry, Charles’s second son, was still on his way from London.
According to the first announcements from the couple’s spokesperson, both he and his wife Meghan would travel to Balmoral.
In the end Harry made the journey alone and was still in the air when the official palace announcement was made to the world at 6:30 pm.
He didn’t arrive in Balmoral until much later.
BBC royal correspondent Nicholas Witchell speculated live on the air that Meghan – who has expressed a series of damaging criticisms of the royal family – ultimately did not make the trip, fearing that “she may not be welcomed very warmly”.
The palace statement said the queen had died “peacefully”, but in keeping with royal tradition, no cause of death was named.
Sources told the Daily Mail that there was “no chronic condition”.
The Queen had done much less work in recent months, but still met both outgoing Prime Minister Boris Johnson and incoming Liz Truss on Tuesday.
The sources told the daily that the Queen had been in a good mood – despite her recent and well-documented “mobility problems” – but suddenly deteriorated over the night from Wednesday to Thursday.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.